Sciatica is something we hear a lot about, but what exactly is it?
Sciatica generally refers to pain coming from the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is your longest and largest nerve and runs from your low back, down the back of your leg and into your foot. It supplies the skin and muscles in the back of your leg and foot.
Symptoms of sciatica often include:
- Back pain
- Buttock pain
- Shooting pain in the back of your thigh an/or calf
- Pins and needles or numbness in your leg and/or foot
- Stiffness in your back or leg
- Weakness in your leg or foot
- Pain may worsen on sneezing, coughing, going to the toilet, straightening your leg,bending forwards
If you think you have sciatica you should visit your GP. You may also consider treatment with an Osteopath, Chiropractor, Physiotherapist or Acupuncturist – please ring us on 020 8520 5268 to make an appointment.
For more details on sciatica see my website www.saraholiverosteopathy.com